Yes you can, "Do It Yourself" (DIY)  your own Registered Training Organisation (RTO).

Many people have been successful, however, if you make a mistake, it can be very costly.

Here is a list of useful links to get you started.

Last time we tested, all the links worked and all of the services did what they said they would do however, Please do your own research and make decisions based on your own independent observations and conclusions.


Setting up

To start a company  ( You will need a company if you ever want to sell your RTO. There may be other ways to do this but a company is the easiest and a sole trader or partnership ares the hardest.)

to register a business name  ( make your company first )

Write a business plan – get a template here:

and get an explanation guide here

find out more about starting a business here:

Register a domain here:  ( Get a to start, you will need a corresponding business name 1st and a corresponding company name before that,  Then when you are registered as an RTO you can apply for an name.  You may be able to register the prior if your company name indicates that it is a training organisation)

get a free hosting service here:

Get help with logo design, business documents design eg stationary suite, document templates and help typing up or retyping bulk documents here:

1300 number?

rent some office space?

Cheap fast DIY printing for business cards bulk brochures etc

Amaysim.  Cheap entry level PAYG or prepaid mobile service, ideal if you BYO handset. plans as low as $10/ 3 months if you do not make outgoing calls. Can upgrade to bigger plans once operating


Qualifications and Funding

Find out about qualifications and their structure and composition as well as all details of every registered RTO in Australia here

for an overview of courses delivery and effectiveness try myskills:

Funded Qualifications

In general, if you want to be a provider of any type of public funding, you will need to be registered as an RTO first. Your financial viability will need to detail how your RTO will succeed without public funding, as you have not yet been registered for it.

There are often several steps before you can provide publicly funded or subsidised courses. fir instance if you wish to provide Queensland’s Certificate 3 Guarantee program you must first have training organisation is registered as an RTO it must an only then may you apply for PQS status, subscribe to DET connect and then your application for c3g will be considered.

To find out more about Apprenticeships, go here:

Queensland Training Information Service (QTIS) has everything you need to know about Apprenticeships in Queensland

Nationally agreed nominal hours:

Choose Publications | all Publications | search  “Nationally agreed nominal hours” | download. This will give you a txt file. If you so request, I can send you a csv or xls file of the same.

Victorian purchasing guide

Queensland Purchasing Guides (Queensland Training Subsidies List)  ( Certificate 3 Guarantee, Apprenticeships, User Choice funding )

Become a PQS ( Pre Qualified Supplier – Queensland only )

Queensland Funded courses:

If you would like to become a VET FEE HELP provider, you will need to register. Start here:

The Australian Skills Quality Authority : the regulator for RTOs in Australia

uses the “Standards for RTOs 2015” to register, audit and otherwise regulate RTOs  Guide here:

Actual legislation here:

To create the training packages in the first place the “Standards for Training Packages” are used

and Standards for VET Accredited Courses are used if you create your own course:

National Vocational Education and Training Regulator Act 2011 also has 

Standards for VET Regulators 2015 that instruct the regulators in how to conduct their activities

ASQA also uses information from Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) to regulate RTOs

ASQA uses a Financial Viability assessment to determine if the RTO is financially viable. Details here:

Financial Viability Risk Assessment Requirements

AVETMISS data is collected by law from RTOs in this format and under these regulations : Data Provision Requirements

ASQA publishes “general directions” papers to communicate with RTOs and industry

A USI is now required for every student that receives a Nationally Recognised Qualification

See the Student Identifiers Act here:

and more about the Unique Student Identifier scheme here. This is where students & RTOs go to manage the USIs

If you want to deliver qualifications to international students you need to register with the  Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) 

This is the official Australian Government website that lists all Australian education providers to offer courses to people studying in Australia on student visas and the courses offered.

ASQA is the regulator here too but they use the ESOS act and the subsequent National Code as the standards for registration

Find details of the Education Service for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act here:

and details of The National Code here:

There is more information on ESOS legislative framework here

 and if you want to teach English you will need to understand the  ELICOS National Standards



Check these guy's out to see if they have what you need.

You will need mapped assessments for all units and you will need to have contextualized them before the audit.  Try to get all of your resources from one supplier. You will need a learner resource, marking guide, mapping and assessments for all units you are applying for on site at the time of audit.

Go here for most text books:


OR, you could just let us help you for a fraction of the cost of what it might cost if you to DIY and potentially make costly mistakes.   

Either way, good luck, we have done this many times and can assure you that it is worth it in the end